by Herman | Countable, Updated on 3.13.18
What’s the story?
- President Donald Trump is in San Diego, visiting the U.S.-Mexico border to examine prototypes of his long-promised “big beautiful wall.” It is Trump’s first visit to the Golden State as the nation’s leader.
Heading to see the BORDER WALL prototypes in California!
Why does it matter?
- In anticipation of his visit, Trump tweeted a Fox News report that cited the far-right Center for Immigration Studies:
“According to the Center for Immigration Studies, the $18 billion wall will pay for itself by curbing the importation of crime, drugs and illegal immigrants who tend to go on the federal dole…” https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/973183304517251079 …
- According to the San Diego Tribune, “a pro-wall rally has been planned to greet Trump at the prototypes.”
- Meanwhile, “several groups are planning peaceful protests on the Mexican side, but a Federal Police official said they are not going to be allowed near the prototype area,” the A. Times reported.
- President Trump has not yet received funding for the wall.
Trump vs. the Golden State
- The Trump administration and California aren’t on the best of terms—last week, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced he was suing the state; in response, Gov. Jerry Brown (D) said that Trump was “basically going to war” with California.
- Trump escalated this skirmish on Tuesday, tweeting:
California’s sanctuary policies are illegal and unconstitutional and put the safety and security of our entire nation at risk. Thousands of dangerous & violent criminal aliens are released as a result of sanctuary policies, set free to prey on innocent Americans. THIS MUST STOP!
What else is the president doing out west?
- Trump will deliver remarks at a Marine base, where Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president plans to address all five branches of the military:
“While California may not have — he may not have won that state — there is certainly a lot of support for this president, not just there but across the country. And he looks forward to being there and presenting a lot of the specific policies.”
- The president then heads to Beverly Hills for a fundraiser at a private residence.