The 2018 Short Session was a triumph for that part of the right wing that is attempting to create a permanent majority by changing rules to silence and diminish all opposition. Herein, current information and background, ignored legislative offerings, reading suggestions, and action notices. “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -Thomas Jefferson.Read More
Category: What we are reading
The poor are some of the smartest and most resourceful people we have in our society. They are survivors and that makes for an amazing education.Read More
World Bank on Tuesday said it would by 2019 end all financial support for oil and gas exploration – huge news!
There is a great opinion piece in the New York Times today about the finanacial industry’s movement towards divesting away from fossil fuels. Amen! Fracking ruined our home town and everything around it in West...Read More
The book “$2.00 A Day, Living on Almost Nothing in America” by Kathryn Edin and Luke Shaefer shines a spotlight on the consequences of government policies on the lives of individuals and families caught in deepening poverty in the years since the welfare reform legislation of 1996 and after the 2008 financial crisis. Poverty in America is not new but it is worsening and a greater percentage of the American people are now living in poverty. –Dr. Jessie Fields, NY.
The number of American families living on $2.00 per person, per day, has skyrocketed to one and a half million American households, including about three million children.
- A Chinese Tycoon Sought Power and Influence. Washington Responded. December 12, 2018Ye Jianming courted the Biden family and networked with former United States security officials. Today, his empire is crashing down in court.ALEXANDRA STEVENSON, DAVID BARBOZA, MATTHEW GOLDSTEIN and PAUL MOZUR
- Michael Cohen Sentenced to 3 Years After Implicating Trump in Hush-Money Scandal December 12, 2018The sentencing in Manhattan capped a startling fall for Mr. Cohen, who is a central figure in the payments to a porn star and a former Playboy model.BENJAMIN WEISER and WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM
- While Working for Trump, Giuliani Courts Business Abroad December 12, 2018Ethics experts say Rudolph W. Giuliani risks blurring lines by seeking contracts with foreign governments even as he remains President Trump’s personal lawyer.KENNETH P. VOGEL
- When Days Aren’t So Sunny: Sesame Street Takes on Homelessness December 12, 2018Lily, a character introduced seven years ago to address child hunger, returns. This time her family does not have a place to live.NIKITA STEWART
- France Declares Strasbourg Shooting to Be an Act of Terrorism December 12, 2018The primary suspect in the attack had been flagged by intelligence services for possible religious radicalization, and had served time in prison.ELIAN PELTIER and AURELIEN BREEDEN
- Theresa May, Facing the End, Makes a Last-Ditch Appeal for Moderation December 12, 2018Mrs. May had offered herself as a pair of “safe hands,” the epitome of old-fashioned conservatism. But she was unable to lead her colleagues to compromise.ELLEN BARRY
- Theresa May Fights No-Confidence Vote Amid Brexit Disarray December 12, 2018The U.K. prime minister promised to contest the ballot of her party’s lawmakers, scheduled for Wednesday evening, “with everything I’ve got.”STEPHEN CASTLE
- Amazon Hires Lobbyists for N.Y. Site and Tries to Fend Off Ocasio-Cortez December 12, 2018The corporate giant has hired well-connected lobbyists to convince lawmakers and residents of the benefits of its new hub in Long Island City.J. DAVID GOODMAN
- Why Christmas Is About Food December 12, 2018In a season full of bittersweet memories, cooking and eating can remind us of what is joyful.JENNIFER FINNEY BOYLAN
- U.S. Diplomats With Mysterious Illness in Cuba Had Inner-Ear Damage, Doctors Say December 12, 2018A report by the first doctors to examine Americans who suffered mystifying symptoms after hearing a high-pitched sound at the embassy in Cuba confirms that their condition is real.FRANCES ROBLES