The poor are some of the smartest and most resourceful people we have in our society. They are survivors and that makes for an amazing education.Read More
Category: What we are reading
World Bank on Tuesday said it would by 2019 end all financial support for oil and gas exploration – huge news!
There is a great opinion piece in the New York Times today about the finanacial industry’s movement towards divesting away from fossil fuels. Amen! Fracking ruined our home town and everything around it in West...Read More
The book “$2.00 A Day, Living on Almost Nothing in America” by Kathryn Edin and Luke Shaefer shines a spotlight on the consequences of government policies on the lives of individuals and families caught in deepening poverty in the years since the welfare reform legislation of 1996 and after the 2008 financial crisis. Poverty in America is not new but it is worsening and a greater percentage of the American people are now living in poverty. –Dr. Jessie Fields, NY.
The number of American families living on $2.00 per person, per day, has skyrocketed to one and a half million American households, including about three million children.
- Contributing Op-Ed Writer: Who Will Win the New Great Game? April 26, 2018The West is not in a new Cold War. It’s an old-fashioned fight with China and Russia for power and influence.JOCHEN BITTNER
- 3 Gadgets You Didn’t Know You Needed, but Are Worth Buying April 25, 2018If you don’t have one of these — or you’ve waited until the options were good enough before investing — now is the time to buy.ANN-MARIE ALCÁNTARA
- Europe Edition: Macron, Berlin, Denmark: Your Thursday Briefing April 25, 2018Here’s what you need to know to start your day.DAN LEVIN
- The Korean War in Pictures April 25, 2018Three years of fighting ended when North Korea, China and the United States reached an armistice in 1953. But no formal peace treaty was ever brokered.THE NEW YORK TIMES
- Behind a Roadside Hit in Malaysia, Israeli-Palestinian Intrigue April 25, 2018An engineer is the latest Hamas figure to be targeted abroad by Israel’s Mossad spy agency, officials say, as another conspiracy plays out in Kuala Lumpur.HANNAH BEECH and RONEN BERGMAN
- Michelle McNamara Died Pursuing the Golden State Killer. Her Husband, Patton Oswalt, Has Questions for Him. April 25, 2018The author devoted years to identifying the Golden State Killer, but she didn’t live to see the arrest of a suspect, or her book about the cold case published.ALEXANDRA ALTER
- Report From Planet Beautycon: Diversity and Small Female-Owned Companies in the Spotlight April 25, 2018The festival also featured lots of pastels, Hillary Clinton and more.CRYSTAL MARTIN
- Op-Ed Columnist: Why Does Trump Treat Immigrant Kids Cruelly? Because He Can April 25, 2018The administration is fine with taking children away from their parents.NICHOLAS KRISTOF
- For Thousands of ‘Dreamers,’ It Has Been a Wild Ride. And It’s Not Over Yet April 25, 2018The young undocumented immigrants have seen their hopes alternately elevated and dashed, sometimes in a single week.MIRIAM JORDAN and SONA PATEL
- Ex-Cop Arrested in Golden State Killer Case: ‘We Found the Needle in the Haystack’ April 25, 2018Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, is the suspect in the case of a serial killer and rapist who terrorized communities in California in the 1970s and 1980s.THOMAS FULLER and CHRISTINE HAUSER