It is time we accepted that the President of the United States is a demonstrated pathological narcissist and liar with no regard for consequence. According to Eric Boehlert, Trump is devoid of empathy and lacks a soul or a heart. He is filled with a deep emptiness driven by sociopathic paranoia, grandiosity and cruelty. This man embodies the definition of a sociopath.Read More
When it first became clear that the Trump administration was engaging in wide-scale family separation, White House Chief of Staff John Kelly waved off questions about the policy by saying that children would be sent to “foster care or whatever.” The vagueness and inaccuracy were telling.
The administration knows it is separating families. It does not appear to believe it’s its job to reunite them.Read More
‘Prison-like’ migrant youth shelter is understaffed, unequipped for Trump’s ‘zero tolerance’ policy, insider says
Colleagues at a government-contracted shelter in Arizona had a specific request for Antar Davidson when three Brazilian migrant children arrived: “Tell them they can’t hug.”
Davidson, 32, is of Brazilian descent and speaks Portuguese. He said the siblings — ages 16, 10 and 6 — were distraught after being separated from their parents at the border. The children were “huddled together, tears streaming down their faces,” he said.
Officials had told them their parents were “lost,” which they interpreted to mean dead. Davidson said he told the children he didn’t know where their parents were, but that they had to be strong.
“The 16-year-old, he looks at me and says, ‘How?’” Davidson said. As he watched the youth cry, he thought, “This is not healthy.”Read More
Each shelter wing was named for a president, with a mural of each and a quote, in English and Spanish. The tour passed Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy and Trump, whose face was pictured with the American flag and outline of the White House.Read More
Following more Democratic support, immigration discharge petition just three signatures from success
With House Democrats Filemon Vela and Vicente González this week adding their signatures to the immigration discharge petition—the Texas congressmen had not joined over concerns “it could end in legislation that funds a border wall, which they oppose”—the total number of supporters has now reached 215. Just three more, and this bipartisan coalition will be able to bypass Republican Speaker Paul Ryan and force a vote on permanent protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients.Read More
A Honduran father separated from his wife and child suffered a breakdown at a Texas jail and killed himself in a padded cell last month, according to Border Patrol agents and an incident report filed by sheriff’s deputies.Read More
“Jeff Sessions’s past behavior has demonstrated active hostility to many Americans. As a prosecutor in Alabama, he prosecuted civil rights activists for doing nothing more than assisting African-Americans to vote, because to him, that was a crime. He has characterized the NAACP as forcing civil rights down the throats of white people. This is a remarkable statement, one that appears to reflect a belief that white people decide when and just how many civil rights people of color should receive.”Read More
LISTEN: Jeff Sessions espouses a stunningly heartless, inhumane vision in interview with Hugh Hewitt
The administration’s immigration crackdown is beginning to take shape.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a man who combines the dashing good looks of the Keebler Elves with the effortless charm of Bull Connor, is wasting no time implementing the steps necessary to transform his lifelong dream of a brown people-free America into reality. – GQRead More
“Wouldn’t you feel anguish if they took your kids? I’d be going crazy. It’s inhumane,” said a public defender in McAllen, Texas.Read More
- House Bills Would Largely Dismantle Asylum System at U.S.-Mexico Border June 14, 2018The House is set to vote on two bills that would largely dismantle the U.S. asylum system at the southern border by significantly narrowing grounds to apply for asylum, eliminating protections for the vast majority of unaccompanied minors, and unilaterally declaring Mexico a safe third country. The result would be a sharp reduction in the […]Migration Policy Institute
- Chilling Effects: The Expected Public Charge Rule and Its Impact on Legal Immigrant Families’ Public Benefits Use June 8, 2018According to leaked drafts, the Trump administration is considering a rule that could have sweeping effects on both legal immigration to the United States and the use of public benefits by legal immigrants and their families. This report examines the potential scale of the expected rule’s impact, including at national and state levels and among […]Migration Policy Institute
- Crisis at the Border? Not by the Numbers June 7, 2018Monthly apprehension statistics at the Southwest border have become a preoccupation for the Trump administration, which compares the 2018 numbers to 2017 and declares a crisis. Yet it was 2017, when the "Trump effect" temporarily paused illegal crossings, that was the outlier. Recent trends have reverted to the pattern seen in 2016, a result notable […]Migration Policy Institute
- Vanishing Frontiers: The Forces Driving Mexico and the United States Together June 5, 2018Marking the release of MPI President Andrew Selee's latest book, speakers explore emerging trends in migration, economic interdependence, technology innovation, and cultural exchange that are transforming the relationship between the United States and Mexico, and the policy implications of these changes for the future.Migration Policy Institute
- Vanishing Frontiers: The Forces Driving Mexico and the United States Together June 5, 2018Wall or no wall, deeply intertwined social, economic, business, cultural, and personal relationships mean the U.S.-Mexico border is more like a seam than a barrier, weaving together two economies and cultures, as MPI President Andrew Selee sketches in this book, which draws from his travels and discussions with people from all walks of life in […]Migration Policy Institute
- Chilling Effects: The Expected Public-Charge Rule and Its Impact on Immigrant Families May 30, 2018MPI experts will discuss an expected Trump administration public-charge rule that could have wide-reaching effects on the ability of immigrants legally present in the country to get a green card as well as who could qualify to enter the United States. The webinar will focus on an MPI report assessing how the proposed rule could […]Migration Policy Institute
- Family Separation and “Zero-Tolerance” Policies Rolled Out to Stem Unwanted Migrants, But May Face Challenges May 23, 2018Frustrated by an uptick in migrant apprehensions at the U.S.-Mexico border in recent months, the Trump administration unveiled a set of sweeping changes, aiming to prosecute for federal immigration crimes every migrant apprehended crossing illegally. The policy will likely be hindered by legal challenges and capacity limitations, as this article explores.Migration Policy Institute
- The Changing Landscape of Interior Immigration Enforcement Under Trump May 8, 2018Discussion at this event focused on findings from MPI's report examining the interior immigration enforcement system in the United States, including ICE data on deportations and arrests, and the responses of state and local governments, civil society, and consulates.Migration Policy Institute
- Revving Up the Deportation Machinery: Enforcement under Trump and the Pushback April 24, 2018The Trump administration has significantly cranked up the immigration enforcement machinery in the U.S. interior. Yet even as arrests and deportations are up in the early Trump months, they remain less than half their peaks. This report demonstrates how pushback from California and other "sanctuary" locations makes it quite unlikely that ICE will be able to match record […]Migration Policy Institute
- The Changing Landscape of Interior Immigration Enforcement Under Trump April 24, 2018Marking the release of an MPI study, this discussion examines the operation of today’s interior enforcement system and how state and local governments, civil society, and consulates are responding.Migration Policy Institute