- Wary of Hackers, States Move to Upgrade Voting Systems
- Thousands more Californians ordered to flee wildfires as gusting winds return
- How civil rights groups are fighting Trump’s voter fraud commission in every state
- Trump gutted the Clean Power Plan, but Congress can still clear the air
- Call to Action- Trump to Scrap Critical Cost-Sharing Subsidies to Kill Obamacare (the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)
- Economy (16)
- Environment (46)
- Equality (17)
- Events (46)
- Gerrymandering (54)
- Healthcare (46)
- History (27)
- Immigration/Deportation (13)
- NAACP News (37)
- National Security (11)
- North Carolina General Assembly (40)
- Op-Ed (42)
- Our Elected Representatives (45)
- Resistance (90)
- Take Action! (56)
- Transylvania County Community (16)
- Transylvania County Community Building (1)
- Transylvania County Government (7)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Volunteer Opportunity (4)
- Voting and Elections (52)
- What we are reading (8)
- 03http://berightthere.info/event/naacp-political-action-committee-meeting/1:00 pm-2:00 pm10/03/2017Community Services Building106 E Morgan St, Brevard, NC 28712, USA
We need people to help organize our many rallies, vigils and other types of actions. There are lots of roles, including crowd control, lining up speakers, being a speakers, writing speeches, and much more. Join the next Political Action Committee meeting, Tuesday, Oct. 3, 1 p.m. at the first floor conference room of the Community Services Building, 106 E. Morgan St. or e-mail us.
There’s lots more for our members to do and there’s a place for everyone. It takes all of to bring about the change we need so badly and every person’s effort is valuable. Just contact us any time.
- 05http://berightthere.info/event/naacp-voter-registration-drive-2/11:15 am-12:30 pm10/05/2017
With Brevard and Rosman municipal elections coming up, this is an excellent time to get people involved in the election process .
Help us register voters:
Thursday, Oct. 5, Rosman High School, 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Send an e-mail if you’ll help.
- 06http://berightthere.info/event/a-vigil-planned-to-honor-the-victims-of-the-las-vegas-shooting/7:00 pm-8:00 pm10/06/2017Hendersonville Historic Courthouse1 Historic Courthouse Square, Hendersonville NCThis was sent to us to share from a reader. Thank you!There is a vigil planned Friday from 7 to 8 PM in front of the Historic Courthouse in Hendersonville to honor the victims of the Las Vegas shooting and advocate changes in gun laws.Bring appropriate signs and a flashlight or candle. Wear a red Moms t-shirt if you have one. We have a limited supply if you don’t.The Times-News has good coverage this morning of speakers on gun violence at the POW rally yesterday: Shooting weighs on speakers at POW rally
- 09http://berightthere.info/event/a-rapid-response-rally-in-asheville-wnc-against-judicial-gerrymandering/6:00 pm-7:00 pm10/09/2017Pack Square Park121 College St, Asheville, NC 28801, USA
Help pack Asheville’s Pack Square on Monday, October 9, at 6 p.m. for A Rapid Response Rally: WNC AGAINST Judicial Gerrymandering.This week, the General Assembly will take up House Bill 717 — legislation designed to redraw the state’s judicial maps for partisan control. We’re calling on community members from across Western North Carolina to come together on October 9, and help us make a strong public stand against this brazen attack on our courts.
- 15http://berightthere.info/event/the-moral-arc-of-the-universe-a-presentation-of-the-transylvania-naacp/5:00 pm-8:00 pm10/15/2017
The Moral Arc of the Universe…Sunday, Oct 15, 5-8 pm
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church parish hall
The Transylvania Chapter of the NAACP
is delighted to present
Rev. Robert F. KilgoreHow do we keep on pushing boundaries
in these troubling times?
How do we keep on speaking and teaching truth to power?
to be followed by potluck supper, conversation in small groups
and a sharing of ideas and music in the larger group
Please bring a dish to share
Beverages will be provided
Subscribe to NC General Assembly news
Receive emails from the NC General Assembly on legislative actions by subscribing here: http://www.ncleg.net/calendars/calendars.html#Subscribe
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- PN362David Joel Trachtenberg, of Virginia, to be a Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, vice Brian P. McKeon. (10/16/2017 legislative day)
- PN525Henry Kerner, of California, to be Special Counsel, Office of Special Counsel, for the term of five years, vice Carolyn N. Lerner, term expired. (10/16/2017 legislative day)
- PN523Callista L. Gingrich, of Virginia, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Holy See. (10/16/2017 legislative day)
- S.705Child Protection Improvements Act of 2017 (10/16/2017 legislative day)
- S.Res.99A resolution recognizing the 11 African-American soldiers of the 333rd Field Artillery Battalion who were massacred in Wereth, Belgium, during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. (10/16/2017 legislative day)
- Meet Mark Burrows, Director of Transylvania County Planning and Community Development
- Meet Nicola Karesh, a Writer, Poet, Community Activist and a Playful Spirit
- Meet Kyle Tinsley, Graduate of Brevard High School and former leader of the Acceptance Club
- Meet Bobby Jones of Cedar Mountain, NC. His grandfather was Solomon Jones of Solomon Jones Road, the road to Pretty Place.
- Meet the founder of Transylvania Indivisible. David Williams.
- How the Affordable Care Act (ACA) helped Cedar Mountain, NC get a new cafe
- Meet Dal Davis, a student at Brevard College.
- Introducing our new podcast Transylvania Together!